Get For Free

Third Party Certification

Free Phone with Certification

Per recent FCC regulations, individuals with hearing loss may receive an Internet-based CapTel phone free of charge if they complete and submit a Third Party Certification of Eligibility.

The Third-Party Certification must be signed by a hearing health professional who confirms that the person applying has a hearing loss and would benefit from IP-based Captioned Telephone Service in order to communicate effectively over the phone.


  • Third Party Certification only applies to CapTel models that are Internet-based (CapTel 840i, CapTel 880i and CapTel 2400i)
  • Third Party Certification cannot be used for CapTel models that do not have an Internet connection (CapTel 840 / CapTel 800 / CapTel 200)

Professionals qualified to sign the Third Party Certification

  • Audiologists
  • Doctors (with a hearing-related speciality)
  • Primary Physician
  • General Practice Physician
  • Ear Nose Throat (ENT) Doctor
  • Geriatric Practice
  • Hearing Related Professionals
  • Hearing Instrument Specialists 


  • Download & print the Hearing Health Professional Certification Form (link below)
  • Have the form signed & dated by a hearing professional as listed above
  • Fax the completed certification form to: 1-608-238-3008 (Fax) 

Download Third Party Certification

Equipment Distribution Program

Specialized Telecommunications Assistance Program (STAP)

Texas residents may be eligible to receive financial assistance for the purchase of a specialized assistive equipment or services through the Specialized Telecommunications Assistance Program (STAP). The purpose of STAP is to help people with disabilities buy specialized equipment they need in order to use basic telephone services. STAP vouchers are issued by the Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS) and STAP vendors are reimbursed by the Public Utilities Commission of Texas (PUC).

What type of equipment is available to purchase?

  • TTY, large visual display (LVD) TTYs
  • Amplified phones and ring/flashers
  • Voice carry-over and hearing carry-over telephones
  • In-home notification systems for phone
  • TTY software
  • Other adaptive equipment needed to connect to the telephone system

For more information about STAP including a voucher application:

STAP website

PUC/STAP website

Federal Government Employees

Federal employees who are deaf and/or hard of hearing can request for a Federal CapTel phone through Computer/Electronic Accommodations Program (CAP). For more information, please click below. 

Learn More